- 6,592 avg daily steps
- 90 miles driven to work (all in the dark)
- 35 hours of sleep
- 38 meetings
- 35 hours of sleep
- 4 miles run
- 1 marathon training program
- 1 triathlon added
- 1 meltdown…
Welcome to this week’s circus – while my goal has been to project upbeat and inspirational vibes into the world of cyberspace + fitness – there are days when we all just have to be real…
It doesn’t matter what you do for a living, where you live, or whether your male or female – busy is a like a sneaky virus, coincidentally coming (right now) during one of the worst flu seasons on record.
Generally, I try to leave work at work and off the radar of the blog – partially due to the preservation of my own sanity, but possibly preservation of my job – as I sit here drinking my 2nd cup of coffee on this chilly Saturday morning, feeling like a bus, train, and several bicycles ran me over repeatedly, I now think the line will be crossed.
Newly promoted, joining a new team with a far different dynamic than my last and less appreciation or acknowledgment for life outside of work – I find myself gasping for air and more importantly quiet – especially after adding another welcomed complexity to my marathon training: being selected to participate in the Maine Tri for Cure (hooray for kicking cancer’s butt!)
So with all the daily chaos, minutiae and demands – how does everyone balance?
Several years ago, I wrote an article called “Where did all the white space go?” It’s origin was born out of a similar week to the one noted above, marked by too many meetings, too few hours of rest and frankly zero time for quiet.
A light-bulb went off yesterday afternoon sitting at my desk wishing myself to airlifted back to reality (or at least a sparkling beach in St. Lucia) – this month’s 30-day challenge – meditation
(insert the proverbial eye roll here for most) but hear me out…
Be a Believer – Benefits of Meditation
- Reduces stress – yes please, sign me up!
- Reduces anxiety – ditto to the above
- Enhances self-awareness
- Improves overall sleep – well who doesn’t want more zzzz’s?
- Decreases blood pressure – as someone who has had pre-hypertension for over 5 years, I’m willing to give it a whirl
- Can promote kindness ♥♥♥
Who is willing to give this 30-day meditation challenge a try with me?
- Gradual progression each day starting at 5 min and building all the way up to 20 minutes by the last day
- Location / time of day are all up to you – instead of cruising Facebook looking for another set of funny party animal clips or stalking your friends from an eternity ago, opt for a 5 min break with some decent headphones or a quiet home (before your family wakes up)
- Accountability – I will be adding this plan to my ever popular Believe Running Journal
- Weekly report-outs – just like the H20 Challenge
- Miss a day? Give yourself a break and pick it up tomorrow or even a few days – we’re all busy and entitled to take it easy on ourselves
- Here’s the plan (love these single pagers for the fridge) from darabee.com